Summer Term Alumni Mentors
In 2010 The Island School and Cape Eleuthera Institute launched a summer term that is modeled after our semester program. Designed for those unable to make the larger time commitment, Summer Term is more focused on questions of sustainability through human ecology, investigations of the marine environment, and exploration of relevant tourism and development issues on Eleuthera. The Summer Term is led by a team of experienced educators, including alumni mentors who maintain the same high academic, community and physical expectations for which our semester program strives.
Alumni mentors are Island School alumni who want to come back to the Cape to immerse themselves in a professional environment in which they can gain experience challenging and supporting high school students through this intense summer journey. The summer term team must fully participate in and oversee student life. As residential faculty members, you will share classes, chores, meals, work, and activities with students. Faculty must be “on” and available throughout the time that students are on campus and the entire team is responsible for the quality, safety, and success of the student experience. The team must also maintain high standards of risk management and outdoor leadership skills.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Serve as student advisor to 6-8 students; provide mentoring to make each student successful in the program
- Assist with delivery of lessons, whether in a classroom or expeditionary format, when appropriate
- Stand duty on rotating faculty duty schedule and contribute to evening activites
- Support down-island or solo experiences
- Lead & support student activities such as morning exercise, chores, kayaking, and community events
Qualifications desired but not all required:
- At least rising junior in college
- Willingness to work hard, be flexible, and be high energy
- Experience working with students in a mentor role and confident in dealing with parents/guardians
- SCUBA certified, preferably a Divemaster
- Background in biology/ecology or cultural studies
- Wilderness First Responder
- Opportunities to develop and deliver lesson plans and/or assessments
- Housing: Mentors will share bedrooms, bathrooms, and living spaces with CEI & IS employees and interns
- Food: All meals provided by the school
Start Date: June 19, 2015 End Date: August 1, 2015 (after summer term debrief and reporting)
Application Deadline: March 15, 2015
New Alumni Mentors: Stipend is $500 for the summer.
APPLY:Please submit resume, cover letter and contact information for 3-5 references in a single pdf. file to