by Clem Titsworth We awoke to pitter patter of rain splashing on our roofs and filling our cisterns. At precisely 6:19 AM the boys dorm all rolled out of bed and performed their zombie like preparations for morning exercise. We scurried out the front door to circle just in time to avoid push ups before morning exercise. Circle begun, the national anthem was sang, and caciques announced that for morning exercise we got to play capture the flag. Girls and boys south vs norths. South side arranged organized attacks on North’s flag allowing us to emerge victorious. The game ended at 7:30 and students went off to do chores.

We began the academic day with Human Ecology class where we were given time to work on our change bomb project. My team consists of five boys who used the day burning wood in out bio char unit, sanding our sand and glass aggregate tables, designing forms to set the tables on. After Human Ecology, lunch began and various research teams used lunch time to go into the field. My research group, the Lionfish group went out of the Cobia, dive boat, to catch Graysby for our experiments. To do this we did two dives and fished under water. My partner Matt and I were able to catch a few graysby despite only being able to communicate under water using hand signals. As we rose to the surface with three graysby, Matt and I laughed and told each other what we had been trying to say while underwater. Being our last field day our research advisor, Joslyn, made us brownies for the ride back.

Later all students boarded a school bus and enjoyed a loud and long bus ride to the Eleuthera Arts and Cultural Center where we looked at pictures taken during a National Geographic Photo Camp that Island School hosted last spring. The photo camp was meant to expose Bahamian kids to positive hobbies so they would stay away from drugs and other destructive behaviors. The pictures that the kids took were really impressive. Then, the long loud bus ride was then repeated all the way back to The Island School.