Dear Island School Students and Parents,
Congratulations again on your acceptance to The Island School! This email outlines our required enrollment forms. We suggest that you begin to tackle these today. As you prepare to study in a new country, we ask that you follow these steps carefully, and with attention to each detail. Working together, we can make sure that your arrival is not delayed by paperwork!
Below, you will see there are forms that must be printed, completed, and mailed to our stateside Boston office. In addition, there are three forms to be completed online. All of the steps below must be completed and mailed no later than Monday, October 2nd. Duplications of these forms can be found on our website under Enrolled Students and Parents.
Forms to be mailed:
We must receive all of the original signed documents (not copies). You will want to make a photocopy or scan of each document you mail to us to keep for your records.
1. PADI Dive Forms and Medical Statement: Please schedule a physical exam with your doctor. A standard physical examination performed by a doctor is required of all students for the Bahamas immigration purposes. Conveniently, in order to pre-qualify for diving, a form requiring your doctor’s signature is part of the PADI Medical Statement, so we meet two requirements with the same form.
Please print, fill out, and sign the PADI Dive Forms and Medical Statement (link to PDF at the bottom of this page), then take these forms to your doctor at the time of your physical in order to obtain his or her signature.
2. Get 4 Passport sized Photos. Passport photos must be 2 inches x 2 inches square on genuine photo paper (not regular printer paper), and the picture must be with the participant standing against a white background only. CVS pharmacy often provides this service. Students must sign their signature on the back of each individual photo (we recommend using a ball-point pen).
3. First Schedule Form 1 Immigration Document.This Bahamas government required document has several sub-steps:
a) This form must be printed on legal-sized paper only (8.5 inches wide x 14 inches long). Regular letter-size (8.5 inches x 11 inches) paper printouts of this form are not accepted by the government of The Bahamas. Please open the PDF attachment titled First Schedule Form 1 Immigration Document at the bottom of this email. Instructions and a request form for a police background check can be found as a separate PDF titled Form 1 Instructions and Police Background Request Form at the bottom of this page.
b) Include 2 photocopies of the picture page of the student’s valid and current passport.
c) You MUST sign this document in the presence of a notary and get their official seal and stamp (a bank, law firm, or UPS store often has a “notary public service” for a small fee; take your photo identification).
d) You MUST obtain a police background check. Please print the “Request for Police Background Check”, fill it out, and take it to your local police station. They should issue (on police letterhead) a background check confirmation.
Once you have taken care of the steps above please mail the necessary documents to the address below:
Cape Eleuthera Island School
745 Atlantic Avenue, 8th Floor
Boston, MA 02111
Forms to be completed online:
1. Obtain a Diver’s Alert Network ID Number. Please fill out the information asked for in The Island School Participant Insurance Information (click on the link to open). You will need to follow the instructions on the 2nd page in order to obtain your DAN number. Remember to go back and fill that number into the space on the first page. When you have completed the form, return to the second page and hit “Submit”. You may wish to print a copy for your records.
All of our students are required to have purchase both the DAN Preferred Membership, which includes DAN Dive Accident Insurance which covers evacuation and any medical care for a diving or snorkeling accident as well as evacuation coverage for any other medical situation that requires evacuation with $10,000 in covered medical costs. The cost of this is $75.
If you are planning to attend our Parent’s Weekend, we request that any Island School visitor over Parents Weekend register and purchase the a DAN Membership. We recommend purchasing a DAN Family Membership ($55), which allows all family members, including your student attending The Island School, to be covered under this insurance. This membership covers evacuation costs for diving and non-diving emergency medical evacuation. It does not cover the hospitalization costs as your child's preferred coverage does. We do not have a hospital on Eleuthera so this is a necessary protection in case of any type of illness or accident that requires hospital medical care occurs whiles on Eleuthera. In order to participate in the activities of Parents Weekend, we will ask you to provide proof of a DAN Membership. If you are planning to dive during Parent’s Weekend, we will ask that each individual planning to dive also purchases the DAN Preferred Membership Dive Accident insurance.
For more information on each DAN Membership and to review the individual or family packages, please visit the link below. Information regarding evacuation can be found under the “benefits” section. http://diversalertnetwork.org/membership/
Please note: When purchasing your membership, please list 447558 as your referral code from The Island School
2. Sign and date the Cape Eleuthera Island School Acknowledgement of Risk Agreement. Both Participant and Guardian must sign and date Acknowledgement of Risk and Liability Waiver (click on the link to open) and then hit “Submit”. Please print a copy for your records.
3. Fill out, sign and date The Island School Health History Form. Please fill out the information asked for in The Island School Participant Health History Form (click on the link to open). When you have completed the form, hit “Submit”. You may wish to print a copy for your records.
Please find a link to an Enrollment Forms Checklist at the bottom of this page to be used as a guide. Please print this out and check off as you complete each step so you know what forms to submit and in which fashion. Please ensure they are all complete and sent/submitted by October 5th.
Please do not hesitate to be in touch with any questions.
All the best,
The Island School Team